Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dear Valentine

Your sweet, gentle love has touched me in a way that words cannot fully express. But on this special day, I will try to find a way to at least give you a small inkling of what you mean to me.

I wish you knew how the sunshine of your smile warms my heart and lightens life’s burdens, how your loving touch strengthens my weary soul and assures me that I’m not alone in a world that can sometimes be cold and unfriendly.

It is said that the eyes are windows to the soul. I know this to be true, for when I look into your eyes I see a gentle, loving heart that loves me not only for the man I am but also for the man you trust I will become.

You have always seen the diamond in the rough, found the good, forgave the bad, and with your warm, sweet, gentle love, you have helped me find my better self. I strive harder to be that better person for he is what you deserve and I never want to disappoint you.

It is your belief in me, it is because I matter to you, that I am inspired each day to reach higher, strive harder, and do better than I did the preceding day. Whatever fame, fortune, or notoriety I might gain in this life I owe to you, for your love unfeigned, and I will sing your praises all of my life for it.

Yet, if leave this earth a pauper I will die a wealthier man than all of the kings who have ever lived, for I will depart this life knowing you loved me none the less. Indeed, yours is the love that from the beginning of time men have prayed for, fought for, even died for. Why the Gods have looked favorably down upon this mere mortal and blessed him with the affection and devotion of a woman like you, I will never know,but often, I find myself wondering that if there was a previous life—and I believe there was--what I ever did there to earn the blessing of your love, but I am eternally thankful for it, as my prayers to God attest each night.

This journey we call life hasn’t always been kind. Pitfalls have snared me, cruelties have befallen me, and many bumps and bruises have I obtained as the years unfolded. But amour, if all these experiences have helped mold me into a person that you could love I’d gladly travel that same road, climb out of each pitfall, endure each bump and bruise a hundred times over, and I’d do it with a smile, because every precarious step, every painstaking mile brought me to you.

Who knows what might lie ahead? But hand in hand we will boldly face whatever the fates have in store. Armed with our love we will firmly stand against the storms of life, bending but never breaking. When the road gets icy, as surely it will, if you should lose your footing I will be your soft place to fall. When the road ahead is difficult to see, I will be your eyes. If you should get weary and feel you can’t go on, I will carry you. When the waters are deep and swift you can hang on to me and together we will swim to safety.

And when our time on earth is over, no doubt, our love will carry us through the eternities hand in hand, smiling, laughing, and loving.Simply put, my love, whomever and where ever you may be, when fate chooses to bring us together that’s when my life will truly begin.

Eternally Yours

No comments: